Updated March 2021
Attention members and friends in Asheville, North Carolina:
On May 4, 2021, Self-Help Credit Union and the YMI Cultural Center in Asheville are officially launching “Successful Transitions: Scaling the Benefits Cliff." This series of free classes will provide practical financial education for people making the transition to employment. In addition to receiving lots of practical information, participants will have an opportunity to double their savings with matched savings provided as part of the program. See lots more details below.
Deadline to apply is April 26, 2021.
To apply, copy and paste this link into your browser: https://form.jotform.com/201803437862051
What is it? Supportive and practical financial education for people making the transition to employment.
What do participants gain from the classes?
- An opportunity to double their personal savings with matched savings.
- 12 free classes over 6 months. For in-person classes, childcare, refreshments, and a transportation subsidy will be provided. Interpretation is also available for Spanish speakers.
- Information on topics such as financial management, life planning, building good credit, small business development, homeownership, resources for youth, and more.
When and how? Classes will be offered every other Tuesday evening (6 - 8) beginning April 6 through early October. Class will be conducted safely, both in person and online. For people without computer access, equipment is available.
Who is eligible? This program is open to anyone interested in building the knowledge and network to scale the benefits cliff and reach their financial goals. Space is available for 20 participants.
Thanks to a generous grant from the Dogwood Health Trust, as well as additional support from the WNC Community Foundation, All Souls Cathedral, and generous individual donors, the program will have space for 20 participants.
“Successful Transitions” is unique, as it combines so many strong resources in one place. We are grateful to all of our participating partners:
- Asheville Housing Authority
- Buncombe County Health and Human Services
- Community Action Opportunities (Lifeworks Program)
- OnTrack WNC Financial Education and Counseling
- Additional Program Participants: Best Year Yet (Annice Brown, Consultant), Caring for Children Eckert Connects, Carolina Small Business Development Center, City of Asheville’s Business Inclusion Office, Goodwill Industries, Habitat for Humanity, In Real Life, Mountain BizWorks, Positive Changes Youth Ministry, S.C.O.R.E., SBC at AB-Tech, SBTDC, United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County (Homework Diners)
Again, applications are due by March 26, 2021 on a first-come, first-served basis. To get the online application form, copy and paste this link into your browser: https://form.jotform.com/201803437862051
Questions? Email Jane Hatley (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dewana Little (email@example.com). Phone numbers: 828-747-6097 (D. Little) or 828-413-5313 (J. Hatley)
Please share this information!!
Pictured above: Graduates from a previous Successful Transitions class (before COVID) display their certificates of completion.
NOTE; This article was updated in March 2021 to provide new dates and information.