Who we are:
Self-Help is a family of two credit unions, a nonprofit loan fund, and an advocacy group. We are also a designated community development financial institution (CDFI). That means our members enjoy all the benefits of belonging to a credit union while also supporting our larger mission to expand opportunities for underserved communities.
Our mission is creating and protecting ownership and economic opportunity for all, especially people of color, women, rural residents and low-wealth families and communities.
More about what we do:
We provide responsible and affordable financial services.
- Full-service credit unions serving over 194,000 members online and in branches in North Carolina, South Carolina, California, Florida, Virginia, Illinois, Washington and Wisconsin.
- Checking and savings accounts and term certificates at attractive rates
- Fair and affordable loans, focusing on helping low- and moderate-income consumers build wealth and prosperity
We promote homeownership to help families build financial security.
- Mortgages with fair terms and reasonable rates
- Investment in neighborhoods hit hard by foreclosures
We lend to businesses and nonprofits, including these:
- Small businesses that generate jobs and contribute to community wealth
- Public charter schools, child care centers and faith-based organizations
- Nonprofits and affordable housing developments
- Commercial real estate projects that invigorate downtown areas and neighborhoods
We promote policy solutions that encourage responsible lending and stop abusive financial practices.
- Research to quantify the impact of predatory lending on American households
- Partnerships with allies, industry leaders and policymakers to implement common-sense solutions that protect families and consumers
See recent highlights of our work in our 2021 Annual Report.
You can also subscribe to our bimonthly e-newsletter
for regular updates on all Self-Help's work.
Explore some of areas of our work below: