As we expand our services and service area, Self-Help has a lot of job opportunities right now. We are seeking people with a variety of skills who are customer-focused, results-focused and excited about our mission of expanding economic opportunity for all. We have openings in all the states we serve, including places such as Greenville, South Carolina; Jacksonville, Florida; the Chicago area; and many locations in California and North Carolina. You can find links to all our job openings here.
Why work for Self-Help? Here are the reasons we hear from our staff:
- To be part of a high-impact mission. Self-Help is one of the nation’s largest community development financial institutions, and we have a history of achieving measurable results. Since 1980, we’ve invested $11 billion to strengthen community resources and help families build wealth by buying a first home or starting a business. We’re serious about expanding economic opportunities and making investments that build stronger communities.
- Great benefits and competitive pay. Our minimum wage starts at $18 to $20 per hour, depending on location, and we offer top benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a super generous match for your retirement fund (and we make it easy to set one up); generous paid vacation time plus 10 paid holidays, and more.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. A commitment to DEI isn’t new for us; it’s part of who we are. At the same time, we recognize that we’re still learning, and we know that achieving a strong DEI environment takes constant work and dedicated resources. We are cultivating a culture where everyone, truly everyone, can thrive and be successful.
- Excellent experience with lots of training opportunities. Self-Help has a training budget for every single staff person. In addition to supporting training through outside conferences and seminars, we also have invested in extensive internal training resources that are easy to access. Many of our staff love that they gain new skills on the job every day and also have opportunities to learn about other areas that interest them.
- Great people. We can’t prove this, but we know in our hearts that we have the greatest staff on earth. Maybe that’s because we attract people who truly care about our members, borrowers and communities. That common commitment is the foundation for a collaborative work environment where people matter and strong working relationships are valued.
“I can honestly say this is the best job I’ve ever had! I really appreciate how Self-Help values me as an employee and my co-workers support my progression in my work. Each employee I feel is greatly recognized and appreciated for what they do. But what I love most is being able to help out my local community and my local members and making a difference in how they bank.”
Hailey Burnett, Self-Help Member Service Representative – Laurinburg, NC
Self-Help offers many types of career opportunities because we’re engaged in myriad activities, working in eight states in more than 70 locations. We consist of two credit unions (Self-Help Credit Union and Self-Help Federal Credit Union), a nonprofit loan fund (Self-Help Ventures Fund); and a research and advocacy organization (the Center for Responsible Lending). To keep all of that going, we look for people with a wide variety of skills: customer service, branch management, project management, marketing, finance and accounting, just to name a few. Again, check out our openings, here broken down by group:
Self-Help Credit Union (locations in FL, NC, SC and VA)
Self-Help Internship Opportunities (currently openings in NC and FL)
Self-Help Federal Credit Union (locations in CA, IL, WA and WI)
Center for Responsible Lending (NC, DC and CA)
If you have the skills we’re seeking, we encourage you to explore our website and find out more about us. If you like what you see, please apply – we would love to meet you!
Pictured at top: CEO Martin Eakes (front row, third from right) with a group of Self-Help interns, pre-COVID times. Even during the pandemic, we have continued to offer internship opportunities, with all work subject to safety protocols.