Self-Help Shares

Info for SHCU members affected by Eastern NC floods

By Ellen S
  | Oct 15, 2016

10/17 Update: All Self-Help branches are now open for business. This blog post has been updated to reflect the change. 

To date, flooding in eastern NC has killed 22 people and damaged thousands of homes, farms, small businesses, community facilities and essential infrastructure in many areas.  Self-Help is committed to assisting the victims of these floods and helping restore their communities.   

nc flood

With thousands of Self-Help Credit Union members in the affected areas, one of our priorities is preserving their access to financial services and resources.  Here is a brief summary of how members can access their accounts and get help. 

How to get access to SHCU Banking Services: 

At our branches 

All Self-Help branches, including our Wilson branch in eastern North Carolina, are currently open during businesses hours and can serve any SHCU member. The Wilson branch is located at 2301 Madison Drive in Wilson (252-291-9977). 


If you have a Self-Help Credit Union debit or ATM card, you can get surcharge-free ATM access at:

Via audio or online banking  

  • Bank by phone by calling 866-708-0694 (toll-free).  Enter your Self-Help Credit Union number and your 4-digit PIN (for first time users, the PIN will be the last four digits of your SSN or ITIN). 
  • If you are enrolled in online banking, you can log in using the orange login box at the top of the website.

If you have a loan from Self-Help:  

We are determined to do whatever we can to meet the needs of our borrowers impacted by Hurricane Matthew during this difficult time. If you think you may have problems paying a Self-Help loan in the near future, please call us. We can help you adjust your loan payments. 

  • For Consumer loans:  Call our Consumer Loan Support & Collection Team at 919-956-4404 
  • For Home Loans:  Call our Mortgage Support team at 844-218-7380 

  • For Commercial Loans: Call our Commercial Lending Asset Quality team at 800-747-3215 

If you have flood damage: 

Anyone in counties designated as federal disaster areas who have loss or damages can apply for assistance. That includes home and business owners and renters. 

FEMA has both grant programs, which don't have to be paid back, and low-interest loans to cover rent, temporary housing, repairs, as well as disaster-related needs such as lost clothing, moving and storage expenses, and medical costs. FEMA picks up where insurance leaves off, so be sure to first file with your insurance company.  FEMA applications are available online or by phone at 1-800-621-3362. 

Self-Help Credit Union also offers personal loans from $500 to $10,000, depending on your credit qualifications. These can be used for a variety of purposes.  Contact your local branch to learn more or apply for a loan. 

If you have any questions or need additional information, please call SHCU Member Services at 800-966-7353

Photo credit: Newsday

Share This


Back to our blog